This field of engineering is related to the application of healthcare and biology.
Biomedical Engineering, basically works to improve the quality of human life by finding effective ways to treat, manage and diagnose illness. It refers to the study of the application in medicine.
They combine engineering applications with medical & biological sciences to create devices, computer systems, machines and software used in healthcare.
Biomedical Engineering teaches the following: –
- Design biomedical equipment – artificial internal organs, a replacement for body parts and machines for diagnosing medical problems.
- Evaluate the safety, efficiency & effectiveness of biomedical equipment.
- Proper use of biomedical equipment.
- Present research findings to scientists, nonscientist executives, hospital management, engineers, other colleagues, and the public.
Specialty areas within the field of Biomedical Engineering: –
- Bio Instrumentation – Teaches to develop instruments used to diagnose and treatment of medical problems.
- BIOMATERIALS – Develop materials that are used in medical devices or as implantation materials.
- BIOMECHANICS – This refers to the study of mechanics, such as thermodynamics to solve biological or medical problems.
- CLINICAL ENGINEERING – Involves medical technology to optimize healthcare delivery.
- REHABILITATION ENGINEERING – It is the study of engineering and computer science to develop devices that assist individuals recovering from or adapting to physical and cognitive impairments.